Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stinkin PITA job...rear bearings
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 09:56:18 -0700
TtT,

You can read Dan Walter's article, "The Ultimate Hub Puller", on this
puller design.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersPuller/rt-WaltersHubPuller1.asp

If there is something about a Tiger (or Alpine) that Dan Doesn't know,
it is not meant to be known by mortal man.

Dan was a Past President of CAT, and has other merit worthy articles,
such as:

"Installing a T-5 in your Tiger"

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersT5/pt-WaltersT51.asp

and his cut on Tiger Cooling:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WaltersCool/rt-WaltersCool1.asp

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com
<http://www.TigersUnited.com>

Tony Somebody wrote:
> Duke- a member recently changed axle bearings himself and as Im in the
process, i ask him how he went bout it. I had responded to his request for a
how to press the bearing on with putting the bearing in the kitchen oven and
the axle in his deepfreeze and they wold almost fall on. he replied that he
follwed my thought except he boiled the bearings in water while the axle was
in the freezer and then used the old race and a pice of pipe to aid the
bearing going on- it did with ease according the his email. I too plan on
replacing or repacking my axle bearings and have my hubs removed but havent
pulled either axle. The drivers side hub was a bear but the passenger came off
fairly easy. the right puller is a must have tool. The Dan walters post shows
an excellent puller but I was able to use a puller a friend had. I was just
lucky he had bought out a place that had several style pullers and one did
work for the Tiger hub.