Re: [Tigers] Centerforce

To: "Sandy Ganz" <sganz@pacbell.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Centerforce
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:18:51 -0600
About a month ago I finally started driving my Tiger with a McLeod
hydraulic release bearing, and had it fail after a couple of days. Took
the engine out, rebuilt the release bearing, made an anti rotation plate
for the release bearing assembly, and bolted it all back together. It's
been (cross fingers and everything else) good for the last week or so
and about 100 miles of test runs... Still don't know whether to drive or
tow to SUNI.

This release bearing was the newer style of the McLeod unit, it has
swivel fittings top and bottom rather than O-ringed banjo fittings. The
failure I got was that the inlet elbow started leaking hydraulic fluid.
It may have been a coincidence, but this is the side that's under
tension if the throwout bearing assembly were to rotate due to bearing
drag from the clutch. So when I put it back together I made a plate that
bolts to the release bearing and captures the ball pivot for the OEM
clutch arm, to prevent any rotation and thereby keep the side load off
the swivel fittings.

I have a Ford Racing clutch (diaphragm spring) and the Girling 5/8"
cylinder... Pedal force is "firm" but the clutch engagement point is
good.

Theo

IMG_0344_x.jpg]