Re: [Tigers] Towing a Tiger

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Towing a Tiger
From: "Kirk Smith" <twotigers@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:56:53 -0700
My experience is with hauling horse trailers.  A couple of horses and a
trailer add up to about the same as a Tiger and a trailer.  I only trailer
about 1% of the time, so I was looking for the minimum that I felt would do
the job and not kill me mileage wise the rest of the time.  The last vehicle
I bought for this was a 2000 Dodge Durango.  It would probably be considered
a mid-size SUV, but had decent wheelbase, gearing and power.  I had a choice
of a 5.9 V-8, a 5.2 V-8 or a 4.7 V-8.  The 5.9 was a little overkill for
everyday driving.  The 4.7 was a newer design, overhead cam and made more
peak power than the 5.2, but the torque curve was also peaky.  I went with
the 5.2, the old reliable 318 that had been around a few decades and had 300
ft/lbs of torque from just about idle.  The whole package has worked out
perfect for my occaisional towing needs.  I knew it would be the minimum I
would feel comfortable with, and am glad I didn't pick the smaller higher
performance engine.

Kirk
B382000503