Re: [Tigers] Selling a Tiger out of the USA

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Selling a Tiger out of the USA
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:48:49 -0700
>>>i imagine the poor guy was pretty irritated when you backed out of the
>>>sale. <<<
Owain,
   Both times I listed the Halda on Ebay I specifically stated it was for
USA sale only.  It was both in the text of the description as well as the
standard "sell to" text provided by Ebay. Thus, it was the European buyer
(not me as the USA seller) who was violating the predetermined "rules" of
the auction.
 On my second attempt to auction the Halda I even went so far as to offer to
sell/ship it to an intermediary in the USA who could then ship it on to
Europe. Yet in both cases the high bidder was from Europe and wanted a
direct transaction.  Even though the Speed Pilot transaction went well, it
was a third time "USA sale only" was ignored.

 Now, in my previous list posting of this matter apparently you yourself
seemed to missed the capital lettered "IN THE USA ONLY" when I described the
my two previous attempt to sell the Halda.   You appeared to be more
sympathetic to the buyer ("poor guy") who violated the auction rules rather
than me who was charged over $50 in Ebay fees (just try getting a refund!).
My brother tells me that stop signs are a "suggestion," - not a law in
Mexico.  Is there something about "USA SALE ONLY" that doesn't register with
someone from Europe?

 I'm not trying to start an argument, nor am I implying that all Europeans
are scammers.  I'm simply trying to figure out why USA SALE ONLY seems to
mean nothing to the European buyers I have experienced. As an interesting
side note every high bidder on the Halda wanted me to declare the value was
less than $50 even though both auctions closed at $787 and $942
respectively.  That information is public record to anyone searching on
Ebay - including authorities that might question my declaration!

So, between my experience of "USA ONLY" consistently being ignored and the
fact that twice I was asked to lie about the items value I felt it prudent
to suggest that Terry 'proceed with caution' when dealing with an overseas
transaction.

Tom