[Tigers] Hood Floating

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Tigers] Hood Floating
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:55:14 -0700
I'm still getting 100+ degree days here in the desert in Arizona along
with the scorpions and rattlesnakes. This gives me the opportunity to
continue with some Tiger water temperature experimentation.

I never have an overheating issue either way, but with my hood propped
open about 1" in the back in 100+ degrees, at high speeds water
temperature runs about 15 degrees cooler than with the hood closed.
Plus, after stop and go driving, running it up to speed it cools down
noticeably faster than with the hood closed all the way. I've tried this
repeatedly on the freeway and get repeat results. The hood open position
helps my A/C run colder, among other things.

That being said, I don't especially like the way it looks with the hood
propped open, but it's dangerous to change to my longer hood spring
assembly back to the stock shorter one, plus it's a pain. You may
remember I had to unbolt the hood from the front a couple of weeks ago
to get it open because I messed up the alignment with the receiver.

Which brings me to the question: Has anyone tried driving at higher
speeds (70-80 +) with the hood unlatched and, if so, what happens? Does
it float up, and if so, how high? I'm concerned that some kind of
aerodynamics might flip the hood all the way up or bend it forward,
which would probably not be good. For some strange reason I don't want
to find this out myself.

Steve Sage

Database version: 6.13360