Re: [Tigers] One of a kind Cobra

To: Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] One of a kind Cobra
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:50:29 -0500
I agree...I have actually hosted several shows here in okc......and our mission
when we ran the show was to not let this kind of thing happen...and myself and
my crew are friends and family who have been burned in past years showing for
reasons like this. Cars in the wrong category, uninformed judges, etc. also I
donbt personally agree with entering a brand new production car to compete
against customs or restored classics, etc. like a viper competing against a
sunbeam or whatever.....for that we offered a trophy for the best credit award.
donbt get me wrong, nice new performance cars are great...but donbt buy one
and take it to a show and compete against someone's hard work for
restoration....

and judges shouldn't be so biased or ignorant that they can't judge objectively
against other cars of the same style. Personally I have a well built custom fox
body mustang...drive it daily, and I donbt mind showing it, but it needs to be
judged against things like itself..and the judges need to know enough about
what they are looking at to judge fairly...or you need to have a judge assigned
to that category - late model performance, one for late model imports and
tuners...etc....and also we had a person who took entry applications that
"policed" or "QC'd" that people entered their cars in the right category. I
often saw cars that looked completely restored in an "unfinished" class...and
WOULD WIN...which always pissed me off when I was showing a car unfinished or
in progress that was in primer and the interior was half missing...

man I could get on my soapbox for years of bad car showing experiences. not as
many as I had for good experiences, but still......

I agree, I go to keep Sunbeams in front of the public not for trophies.
I've got boxes full of sailing and bowling trophies in the attic.

I won't bother with this particular club any longer because if you are going to
have a judged
show you should at least stick to your own rules, they don't. How can a 90's
built replica win best 60's/70's car ? I was having a discussion with another
owner
and friend who remarked this group used to have the public vote for trophies
and ended that
when the "Best 56,57,58 Chevy" was given to a 52 Chevy. I think that is better
than best 60/70's given to a 90's replica by supposedly educated judges.

Steve