Re: [Tigers] expansion bottle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] expansion bottle
From: Steve Sage <fastsage@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:49:42 -0700
I found a nice small square plastic overflow tank from I think an 80's
or early 90's Toyota Corolla (do they still make those?) from a Pick
Your Part junkyard in L.A. a few years ago. You could use anything that
will fit but this one was much smaller than the ones you can find at Pep
Boys, etc. It fits nicely in front of the stock overflow tank between it
and the horn hole. It sits next to the radiator to its' right (looking
forward to the front of the engine compartment.) I do have to remove the
stock overflow tank first, place the Corolla tank in, and then
re-install the stock overflow tank. I run a clear hose from the cap on
the Corolla overflow tank to the overflow exit right below the radiator
cap on the stock overflow tank. Another hose goes from the Corolla tank
cap (it has two hose intakes/exits on it) to the ground in case the
Toyota tank overflows, which it never has.

I keep the Corolla tank about 1/3 full when cold. It works great and you
can fill your radiator and stock overflow tank all the way to the top to
just under the radiator cap. With the clear hose from the stock overflow
tank to the Corolla tank, you can see the coolant going one way or the
other (if you wait long enough) as the  coolant expands to the Corolla
tank when hot, and then back toward the stock overflow tank as the car
cools all the way down.

This is probably something everyone already knows but, just in case,
here's a tip. Open your heater valve all the way (to the Hot position on
the dash) to make sure you're filling up your whole coolant system. Fill
up the stock overflow all the way to the top, and fill your new overflow
tank about a third of the way (when cold of course). (There's a tube
that goes from the Corolla overflow tank cap to the bottom of the tank.)
Put the radiator cap back on. Run the car until it fully heats up, as
hot as it will get (like that's a problem with Tigers, right??). Let it
cool back down, then take the radiator cap off and again fill the stock
tank back all the way to the top if there's room to add more coolant.
I'll often have to do that a couple of times to make sure the system is
completely filled.

A little bit of work but, as I think I said, it does work and I think
help keep the car from overheating, or at least for sure from loosing
coolant.

Steve Sage
1966 MK1A

Database version: 6.13620