Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations

To: Nathan Johnson <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:42:57 -0600
Hey Nathan, being a fox body mustang owner I have a little insight here...not
as much Tiger related, but more SBF EFI related...something I've messed with
quite a bit over the years. To my knowledge the exhaust ports, intake ports
and bolt patterns should be compatible on any standard degree head on the
aftermarket with your intake and ex manifolds. I have an older Edelbrock
intake on a 69 302 with E7TE heads from a 87 mustang...they work just fine,
there is a egr cross over that you might want to block on some applications,
but you can do that with gasket, to my knowledge.

I am a big fan of the Trickflows twisted wedge, mainly because the horsepower
gains are substantial right out of the box with no mods, they are factory cast
spec on the outside so all your brackets and stuff work good, and they are the
only aluminum sbf head on the market, according to my research, with a 2.02
intake valve that will fit a factory 302 piston with factory valve relief, not
requiring a custom piston in many applications. This is a big plus if you are
using a crate motor short block or a low mileage factory engine...if you are
building a 302 from the bottom up from scratch, it probably doesn't matter
much. Obviously some cam choices will make a difference on lift but you would
want to verify valve clearance in any case.  I can tell you for certain that
the Edelbrock heads with the 2.02 valves will NOT fit the factory 302 block
without hitting the pistons...at least with a came lift of .490 or anything
close. Personal experience talking. I have  set of Brodix track 1's on my 392
inch Windsor for my cobra replica, they are really nice....and have a lot of
performance potential, but will require custom pistons in most applications.
of course they are a 2.08 valve...I will but putting the Edelbrock performer
rpm head on my Tiger motor soon, it's a 302 roller motor but it will have a
custom piston to clear. Cost wise the benefit of the Trickflows is they are
priced very fair...a bit less expensive than the Edelbrocks and a lot less
than the Brodix but still has the big valves and will accept all the popular
valve train assem, in either pedestal mount option or stud mount either one.
I have used proform roller rockers before with good results, but not
specifically on a Tiger application to be knowledgeable about clearance...so I
cant help there, but the quality of the rockers seems good, and price is
great.

Trying to think of any other heads to consider...i really like the
AFR's....Air Flow Research...they come atop a lot of the roush crate motors
and perform really well. Ultimately it might come down to what your short
block looks like, cam selection and compression...so you can pick a head based
off of combustion chamber volume, intake runner volume and valve size...and
then cost obviously...but quite often my favorite head choice isnt ideal with
whatever motor I am putting it on due to other factors in the build...as you
probably know.

Anyway, those are my thoughts...good luck with the project!

Cullen

Subject: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations

I am just about to replace the 289 hipo in my Tiger and was looking for input
on what heads to put on a 302 block.  I figure I should go with roller
rockers
and cam for easy horsepower and efficency and it seems to be the general
consensus that aluminum heads are worth the price to take weight off the
front
end and add more power.  My first concern is which heads are compatible with
the stock exhaust manifolds and my F4 intake?  Second, I am not trying to
make
my kitty into a drag strip lion (still needs to be safe for the lead foot
wife
to drive...), so what are some reasonable priced heads to make 250-300 HP
without going to headers?  In response to my last post about valve cover
modifications, I was told that using proform roller rockers should allow
enough clearance to get my valve covers off without removing the engine
mounts.  Has anyone found other roller rockers that will also allow this kind
of clearance?  Thanks for the help.

Nathan

66' Mark 1A