Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations

To: <MWood24020@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:34:40 -0700
The AFR 165 heads have 1.90" intake valves and 1.6" exhaust, so they
might be a good choice for a more streetable engine especially if it's
going to be a 289. AFR still says the '86 5.0 requires piston notching,
but that may not be true for the '87 and up engines.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=21_23

I think that the best of all would be a canted-valve head like the Trick
Flow twisted-wedge, with a slightly smaller intake valve like 1.94 or
1.9". As far as I know, the exhaust side is still a weak point on Ford
heads in general so a 1.6" valve is probably a good thing regardless.
Too bad that's not readily available.

Cheers,
Theo