Re: [Tigers] Drop Spindles

To: coolvt@aol.com, cmccann@lwpb.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Drop Spindles
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:16:59 -0800 (PST)
How technical should we get on this??? It depends on how much the drop, but  in
general if nothing else is changed I believe front caster angle increases (not
bad in itself), understeer should decrease (or oversteer increase depending
where things started) since the front end should turn in better and have less
roll whereas the rear will not improve appreciably in this area since the lower
CG is the result changes of weight height mostly at the front end.

The best solution is to drop the rear as well so you capture the same handling
benefits at that end of the car. Just keep it high enough not to cause other
problems like rubbing or hitting the bump stops prematurely (very bad surprise
if you're cornering at the time). From the aesthetic side of things, most
prefer a slight forward rake (the front is slightly lower than the rear).

As example, I just installed adjustable Koni's and stiffer lowering springs on
my '02 WRX wagon. I chose springs that lowered front ~ 1.5" and rear ~ 3/4"
since in stock form it looks like the front is way too high. This also
comprehends the fact that adding passengers and luggage will affect the rear
ride height more than the front, so being a little more conservative in
lowering the rear is a god idea for how I sometimes use the car. I timmed the
bump stops by ~ 3/4" so suspension travel is not affected in the rear and only
slightly in front. This may not be true in all suspension designs, but it works
as such on the WRX.

That all said, older drag racers seem to jack up the rear a lot, I assume
simply to fit big tires and allow for the extreme loading of the rear
suspension while launching the car. I think they now just open up the wheel
wells and use stiffer springs and mightier traction bars. Can anyone clarify
this?

Best regards,
Stephen Waybright
585-905-5842 (m)