Re: [Tigers] Is this a Bogus Tiger?

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Is this a Bogus Tiger?
From: MAURO D'ANGELO <m_dangelo@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:03:05 -0500
Hi Tom.  I agree with you.  I am very aware of what makes a Tiger a Tiger.
I spend so much time with mine that I know it in a very intimate way.  I
want to be clear that I am not at all arguing that this is an Alger and/or
that the owner is dishonest.  Why would I?  I also agree that it is very
true that each singular element I mentioned neither proves nor disproves
anything.  Very little can be seen, anyway.

I do see the braces in the front, but because it's not very hard to weld in
entire inner front fenders while you're in there welding in all the other
new panels (a set of these was recently sold on eBay), it doesn't mean much
to me.  I'd like to see the welds in person.  It's funny to me that the
braces are a different color than everything else and that their attachment
bolts have been changed, which may indicate someone mucked around right
there.  I see expansion tanks sell often.  I also see water bottles sell
often.  So these are easily obtained and mean little to nothing to me.  It
does, though, seems odd to me that they seem improperly secured.  BTW, is
that where your coil is mounted? The shifter, though, is definitely cool.

I ask myself, if this is a rust free Texas car, why would they have done a
complete mud job on it, making the side trim and badge points disappear?
Maybe they did a lot of welding...but why would anyone do that?  If the
owner says it is rust free and he's honest, then, to me, he must not detect
any Bondo on the car, right?  If that's true, then maybe this is a rebody
using an Alpine donor body and the guy just does not know that.  That might
explain the lack of side trim and Bondo to me.  Dunno.  Again, I don't know
anything about this car or its owner.  I'm just asking questions.

Unfortunately for me, I am an analyst, so, to me it's the the combination of
the various elements, plus the owner's answers-not-answers that make me
simply suggest a healthy level of prudence. Prudence can't be bad.  I hope.