Re: [Tigers] Hard top leading edge rubber

To: Rollright@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hard top leading edge rubber
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:37:46 -0300
Hi Jim;

This sounds identical to the channel receptacle and rubber strip on the soft
top.

Lat fall when I was in Maine with some of your fellow New Englanders, one of
them pointed out that I had an unusual rubber strip in that location. It did
look different from all of the other Tigers present.

When I returned home, I ordered a new rubber strip from SS, and when it
arrived it was clear that I had the right strip, but the P.O. had installed
the one in my car backwards. (!)

I would never suggest you were trying to install yours backwards, but wanted
you to know that a determined owner could actually install one of these
confounded strips in reverse, so it might be a matter of perseverance. I got
mine in after going through all the steps you described, by finally laying
the rubber along the full length of the receptacle strip, and starting from
the centre, putting the top of the rubber in the groove first, and using a
dull scraper to feed the bottom of the rubber in the channel. I worked it
along, using masking tape to hold my work in as I progressed.

When I reached the ends, I used a dab of silicone to hold them there, and
closed the top onto the windshield over night. The next day, I lifted the
top and removed the masking tape. Its been there now all winter, up and down
many times as I wrestle with the windshield to door frame gap. Sometimes
these jobs are very satisfying indeed!

Its definitely a 12 beer job.
Dave

Best of luck with yours.