Re: [Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques Re: just a test

To: "MAURO D'ANGELO" <m_dangelo@verizon.net>, "Tiger email list"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques Re: just a test
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:24:27 -0400
There are all kinds of articles written on this subject and I remember
writing one in the 80s. I have done both and strongly favor the lower
method. I've done the lower way about 5 times. The once I did the upper way
it scared the bejeezus out of me.
The from the top requires a lot of head room with the engine way up in the
air to clear the car. The tranny is generally attached and it is a long
piece to get up and over the body with no damage.
The lower method keeps everything relatively low to the ground and can be
done in a low ceiling garage.
I hike up the body with a hoist attached to a chain bolted to the body with
the cross member bolts (actually similar ones from a hardware store) screwed
in from teh top into the same holes. I leave the wheels on the cross member
and just roll out the cross member supported on a jack. A motorcycle jack
would work well I assume. I have one now but have not used it. I always just
used a floor jack, but I didn't have the MC jack at the time. Next time I'll
try it.

Curt Hoffman