[Tigers] Confessions of a moron

To: <TIGERS@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Confessions of a moron
From: "wsamouce" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:54:05 -0500
I would like to say this happened years ago but it was this last Saturday.

I have been having issues with the 7" Girling brake booster for about 2
years now. My car was missing the booster when I bought it and I bought one
from a great guy (name withheld).

This booster has been off my car three times and back to (the guy) for
rebuild and adjustment to try to get it working correctly. It kept applying
slight pressure to the brakes which is really bad for gas mileage and brake
pads and shoes.

The brakes started dragging again shortly after putting it back on the car,
I called the guy and told him I give up and am going to buy a new Lockheed
booster. He tells me he will send me a 5" Girling booster to replace the 7"
booster. I say OK . I received the booster last week and installed it on
Saturday.

I did some other mild work replacing a brake cylinder and the line that fed
it. So, the new booster is on the car and ready for pressure bleeding. I use
the Motive pressure bleeder. I pumped the bleeder up to 15 psi and went to
bleed the first caliper....gurgle, gurgle.the pressure bleeder just went
dry..WTH? There was at least three pints of brake fluid in it too???? I
figure that the new booster is bad and all of the fluid went into the "can"
of the booster.

I pull the "new" booster off and put on a bypass line. I then bleed the
brakes with no issues. Now I need to send both boosters back.

I then try to start the engine, it cranked and then locks! WTF! The engine
hydrolocked, all of the brake fluid was pumped through the booster, up the
vacuum line, into the manifold and then the cylinders. I am seriously pissed
at this point. I then pulled all of the spark plugs so I can get the damn
brake fluid out of the engine. I put lots and lots of paper towels by each
hole to hopefully catch the fluid as it is expelled.

I hit the starter and with nothing short of explosions, brake fluid is blown
all over me, the engine, engine compartment and the front half of the car. I
lose it at this point and yell bad things so loud that my son comes out of
the house to check on me.

Not only am I worried that the engine is damaged but now have a clock
ticking of ruining just about all of the paint on my car.

A emergency wash down takes place, then soap and water..install the plugs,
start the engine (smokes like hell), engine sound Ok..drive directly to the
car wash where I spend $10 pressure washing every part of the car.

Turns out, engine is OK and I believe all of the paint is safe. Time will
tell on that. I changed the oil and filter.

Purchased the new Lockheed booster from SS today.

Lessoned learned.
1. Disconnect the vacuum line to the manifold when bleeding the system
2. Hand crank the engine if this ever happens again.

Duke

B382002037