Re: [Tigers] ARE Libre wheels

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] ARE Libre wheels
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:24:54 -0700
Hi Duke:
My Tiger also came with a set of JAP wheels--Tiger's gone, but the
wheels remain.  One of 'em has a small crack, and I've not been able to
find someone locally who will weld it for me--it's magnesium or
magnalume or some such, and they're concerned it'll catch fire and do a
china syndrome since magnesium provides it's own oxygen for burning.

The wheels are really light, but there were some concerns expressed on
the list about the strength of 40 year old magnesium ( I gather it rots)
and the wisdom of actually having them on the car for daily use, so I'd
replaced 'em with steelies.  Looks like yours are holding up well, though.

I like the pattern.  I saw a picture of a Healey 3000 with a set, but
until you mentioned it, I didn't know of anyone else with a set, so they
must be pretty rare.
:-)

Best Regards
David Sosna