Re: [Tigers] ARE Libre wheels

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] ARE Libre wheels
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 17:46:54 -0700
Hi Duke:
I didn't know they made 'em in aluminum.  I didn't know mine were
magnesium until I took the cracked wheel to Smitty here in San Diego to
see if he would  weld it.
His response was: "That's Magnesium.  I'm not gonna weld that.  If it
catches fire, it'll burn right through the concrete."
He could tell just by looking at the material.

It weighs about 10 pounds with the center cap.  The aluminum 14" O.E.M.
hollow spoke rims on my Miata weigh about 10.8 lbs, so I have my doubts
about the JAP's being magnesium, but short of trying to set fire to one
of the JAP wheels, I've no idea how to tell whether they're aluminum,
magnesium or neutronium, so for now I'll figure Smitty's right.
Anybody out there got a 13" aluminum Tiger wheel that you can stick on a
scale?

I only have the one center cap and I'm pretty sure it isn't original.
Looks like it was done on a lathe.  The thickness seems to be about
0.061 inches, and the sides have a taper. Which is why I had trouble
measuring the thickness. :-)

I'll find my camera and send you photos.

Best Regards
David