Re: [Tigers] Nitrogen filled tire fad

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nitrogen filled tire fad
From: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 09:40:24 -0400
The Ideal Gas Law which, no doubt, many of you remember studying in your
chemistry and physics classes long ago, indicates that all gases behave
identically, so long as they are sufficiently far from their
condensation (boiling) points.  For nitrogen the BP is -196 C and for
oxygen it is -183 C, so I think we can assume that both will behave in
the same way when undergoing a temperature change, unless you live in
some rather extraordinary climate.  If you do, I would suggest that you
probably have several more important worries than filling your tires
with nitrogen and that it would be a good idea to move.   In short, so
long as the gas in your tires is dry, it makes little, if any,
difference which gas you use.  Some argue the benefits of not using
oxygen in your tires to reduce degradation of the tires.  However, keep
in mind that the exterior will be exposed to oxygen, so I think there is
little to be gained on this score.  Unless someone with some really
convincing data comes along, I remain unconvinced by people who want to
charge me to fill my tires with nitrogen.

Cheers,

Tod

B382002384LRXFE