Re: [Tigers] 289 Dipstick (and 260 clutch) Questions

To: <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 289 Dipstick (and 260 clutch) Questions
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:28:41 -0400
There was a discussion about this just a month or so ago. Yes, you CAN
replace the clutch without pulling the engine out. You have to
disconnect the drivetrain, the transmission, slide it back, then lower
the rear of the engine enough to unbolt the bellhousing. It comes apart
like a clamshell and it's not pretty but I've done it once and I've seen
the Jennings boys do it a couple times. There's a million details I
don't remember. Since I now have a good 2 ton crane and plenty of jacks
I just prefer to drop the engine/tranny out of the bottom.

Bugz