Re: [Tigers] The real reasons I wanted to post

To: "'Al Fudge'" <AFudge@airtest.us>, "'Al Fudge'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] The real reasons I wanted to post
From: "Robin Young" <Robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:34:40 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Al Fudge [mailto:AFudge@airtest.us]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:56 AM
To: Robin Young; Al Fudge; tigers@autox.team.net
Al,

A really good body guy installed eight body panels on my car while it was on
the rotisserie.  Afterwards, we hauled it to the bead blaster on the
rotisserie and used the ceramic beads to remove paint and rust to bare
metal. The beads just moved the undercoat around. It took chemicals and
rubbing to remove it.  Tim Ronack coached me through the paint process and
pointed out steel from this era was very prone to rust.  New bonding
primers, (he called them wash primers) chemically bond to well prepared
steel and protect the steel better than the building primer that goes on
next and makes the building primer adhere better so moisture cannot cause
rust under paint as was the case originally. The undercoat you asked about
is actually only stuck to a one step factory paint.  RObin

Robin,

Two engine stands is an idea I hadn't thought of.  Makes sense.  The
undercoat has been bothering me; would the blasting remove it
(apparently not) and what is it hiding?  I was advised by Larry
Atkisson, after he looked at the car, to sell the it and buy another one
to avoid the repairs (he was very diplomatic about it).  I was unable to
sell it, and decided instead, against his better judgement to attempt to
have it repaired.  After all it is a Tiger and I have always wanted one.
We'll see how it turns out.

Al