Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?

To: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Gas milage with different tires?
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:48:28 -0300
 Hi Duke:

 I have been doing the same calculation but for a different reason: I want
 less sturm & drang from the engine room, not just better fuel economy.
 Spending 17 hours at highway speeds with the"racket" reduced is a big
 incentive for me.

 I have driven to Midcoast, Maine the last two years to the annual "Tiger"
 gathering at the Owl's Head Museum and both times got approx 25 miles to
the
 Canadian gal. (~21 miles/U.S. gal.) for the 1500 mile return trip.
 http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuel-consumption-converter-d_850.html

 My car also has a 3:09 rear end, but I am running 205x50Rx15 rear tires
 (23.07" dia) 901.6 revs/mile. Absolutely no clearance problems on stock,
 unmodified rear wheel arches.

 But I think you should consider a different size - try 195x70x13. Should
fit
 no problem, and you get 876 revs/mile, a significant difference: 6.45%.

 Here's a great calculator to make this comparison easy:
 http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit&reset=yes

 Only problem is, tire manufacturers recommend you don't change tire size
 more than 3% for fear of the risk of brake failure. I have no idea how
great
 this danger might be, but I am running Wilwoods and vented discs up front,
 with stock brakes in the rear, so I'm not too concerned. Do you have
 upgraded brakes?

 Dave
 One way or another - see you there....