Re: [Tigers] Tiger VIN Transfer

To: Mike Hokanson <hokey@oasisol.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger VIN Transfer
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 18:02:37 -0700
Mike,

Deception is a primary tool for forgers.  As soon as something is
wanted, someone is willing to counterfeit.

This goes for postage stamps, valuable coins, "found on treasure ship"
and paintings/photos when they are more valuable than it costs to forge
them. Now a lot of counterfeit silver jewelry on eBay. (todays CBS TV
report).

I have absolutely no bad feelings about modifying an Alpine to have the
performance features of a Tiger.  They can allow those who like the
Tiger, but can't afford one, to get very close, if not better. No harm here.

However, when the cars have deliberately changed VIN plates to one that
did not come with the car would then be an attempt to deceive.  There is
no performance advantage to cosmetic changes, and the intent of the
seller is in doubt.

Now, this is not meant to discourage true hot-rodder, just the ones who
build with the intent to deceive. I can see no other reason to alter the
registration.  This is done with stolen cars as well, and the law deals
strongly with stolen car being altered.

I can see no other reason to change the VIN, other than an intent to
deceive.  More power to those want want to openly modify their Alpine.

Anybody want a postage stamp with the airplane shown upside-down?

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com