Re: [Tigers] Heater Control Valves

To: <Rollright@aol.com>, <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Heater Control Valves
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:07:54 -0400
Jim
        I pulled one apart.   The problem is the end cap that comes off is
swaged on.   I could not come up with a good way to re-attach that end.
Some British heater valve have rebuild kits but none that I could research
were anywhere near the size used in the Sunbeam heater valve.

        The other problem is the rubber parts used inside the heater valve,
there are 2 rubber pieces; they deteriorate.   This is also a problem with
NOS parts; they could be 20, 30, 40 years old.   I went to a British Auto
guy in my area and he pulled an NOS valve out and he did a leak test, it
leaked.  I'm not sure if there is a date code on or with the heater valves.

        We would need someone with machine shop capabilities to come up with
a way to build a new internal valve from Delran or other to eliminate the
rubber parts, O-rings will probably be needed.  We also need a way to seal
and close the original parts to make it rebuildable.  I did have a few ideas
but no way to make and experiment with parts.

        It would be nice to have a kit with instructions on how to rebuild
these heater valves but I don't think it would be feasible or cost
effective.

Ron Fraser