Re: [Tigers] Alternate Rear End Gears

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Alternate Rear End Gears
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 10:37:18 -0700
Mark,

   Are there any alternatives to the T-5? The Corvette/Viper T-56???

  I often see people change gear ratios when in effect a tire size change
will do the same thing. At the least, what you might do is scrounge up a
taller wheel/tire for testing your idea. Do the math and see if say... a
215-70-15 tire would fit.

I'm on the other side of your idea.  Jeep used a Toploader (T-178) that had
a 3.01 first and evenly spaced gears (unlike the overdrive Toploader - which
was very weak).  My idea was to use taller tires to effectively get the 3.01
first gear closer to the equivalent 2.78 of a wide ratio. On the other end
the 1 to 1 ratio of 4th gear would be the equivalent of an overdrive.
However, the T-178 seems to be very hard to find (especially at Pick A Part
prices).

400 Ft.Lb's sound nice. Hope you can find the difference maker in ratios to
make it all work
Tom