Re: [Tigers] Alternate Rear End Gears

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Alternate Rear End Gears
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 18:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
The T56 is a bigger box. The Tremec TKO/3550 is also a bigger box, both are ok
transmissions (They have upgraded both I believe to newer models as well)

For
the TKO it is big at the top of the tunnel and I just removed one out of my
'65 Mustang as it has bad driveline angles unless you cut up the transmission
tunnel on the car. I ended up removing it for a Tex Racing T101A, and that is
another story. I have not had my hands on a T56 but the TKO/3550's are very
square and that is where they have issues with fit on the top of the tunnel. I
think they may have a newer model that is more compact but I have not been
look
at them for a while.

The one gearbox that many people forget about is
the Doug Nash/Richmond gear 4+1
and 5+1. The early ones were just 5 speeds
with 1:1 final but later boxes do
have overdrive. I have the old Doug Nash in
a Cobra and it looks like it would
tuck in better then the Tremec's since the
case is more round but not 100% sure.
It is not an inexpensive gearbox but is
pretty durable. The Shifter would be a
concern as the tail shaft is pretty
narrow on a Tiger top loader (And mustang
T10) so gettting a shifter back in
the same spot would also be part of the
measuring exercise.

For T5's I think
they made a couple World Class that were a bit beefier, but
have no
experience with them.

Also if you do use a Chevy gearbox on a ford you will
need appropriate
bellhousing and crank pilot bearing. The Tex Racing T101A is
a chevy bolted to a
tilton bell with a chevy trans pattern and dimension.
Other stuff such as trans
mounts will need work too.

Here is a link, in the
vid you can see a TKO that was pulled from my car.
http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBlog/2010/05/07/the-ripper-transmission-swa
p-part-1/

Sandy