Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:23:05 -0500
The Tiger II gearbox isn't the HEH-B wide ratio with extra holes in order to
fit to either a 5 bolt or 6 bolt block?

Allan Ballard
MK1-a Tiger
SIV Alpine

On Jan 23, 2011, at 1:56 PM, Smit, Theo wrote:

> My Tiger (B382002705) is the second-last Mk1(A) Tiger. It came to me with a
worked-over five bolt 289. Unfortunately, many (all?) of the original engine
ID tags were long gone by the time I got it, so there's not really anything to
go on there, other than to read off the casting dates (which we know will be
'64, because that's the last date those blocks were made, right?). I do have
the proper tagged HEH-E gearbox.

> As we all know the proper engine for the Mk2 is the six-bolt 289, with the
HEH-CF wider ratio transmission. So any factory 'inbetween' Tigers would have
been more likely to have that combination, than the five-bolt 289 and HEH-E.

> The only remotely likely way to get a five bolt 289 into the Tiger from the
factory would have been that Ford ran out of 260 short-block assemblies while
filling the Rootes orders, and they substituted in some 289 block assemblies.
However, the likelyhood that these specific engines would then end up at the
end of the Mk1A production run is unlikely to me.