Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?

To: "'Smit, Theo'" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>, "'Allan Ballard'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Factory 289 in Mk1...?
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:03:07 -0500
        This is a case of; what did he really mean by that?  Too much has
been written about the Tiger which is conjecture rather than factual.  I
have done the same; written what I thought correct when I should have been
writing about documented facts.    Norm Miller has corrected me several
times and I appreciate him doing so.   Norm has collected more knowledge
about this then I have or probably anyone else.

        Did Rootes install 289 engines into MK I bodies -YES.   There are
documented prototype and development Mk I bodies with 289 engines.   Rootes
was conducting 289 development studies and the Works Team, I'm sure, raced
the guts out of several 289 engines.   The exact time frame when Rootes
first obtained a 289 engine, I don't know.  I would think Rootes would have
wanted to explore the 289 as soon as Ford could deliver some with the same
emissions configuration as the 260 engine.   AF4 appears to have a 289
installed Jan 1965 time frame.

Rootes also built several pre-production Mk II Tigers from Mk I bodies with
289 engines.

So the statement is true that Rootes installed 289 engines into Mk I bodies;
however there is no evidence that a 289 engine wondered into the Mk I
production line until the Mk II production.

The 6-bolt 289 started production in Aug 1964 for the 1965 Ford model year.
All 289's before that are 5-bolt.

You would need shipping documents to know how many assemblies where shipped
at one time.   My guess is it ranged from 200 to 1000 but I'm guessing.
You could try to get a rough estimate from Tiger monthly production figures.

My Original Tiger Engine Study could bare some light on this subject but I
have too little information.

Ron Fraser