Re: [Tigers] More cubes for Tiger

To: <rande@thecia.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More cubes for Tiger
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:12:40 -0500
        It's too easy to speculate about all of this.  We don't know the
correct answers and apparently no one asked the people who do know for a
first hand account.

According to Bob Mannel's book:
The 289 was first cast in Dec 1962; this is part of the 1963 Ford model year
The Fairlane 289 HiPo was introduced in Dec 1962

        I believe both of these engines were still in the development stage;
some of the internal parts were not up to racing standards.  I believe it
took most of the next year to sort things out but it is not totally clear
when these improvements actually happened.

        I also believe that FoMoCo was calling the shots about who got which
engine and when.   Ford was supporting multiple racing teams including
Shelby American and Ford carried a very big stick.  Ford wanted to dominate
at the race track.

Ron Fraser