Re: [Tigers] tiger blocks

To: "michael king" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>, "A. C. Tynes"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] tiger blocks
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:59:36 -0400
Hi Michael:

I have the 331 stroker kit in my 289 Block, with approximately 12,000 miles
on it now with no mechanical issues. It suffered serious elevated heat abuse
after its original build by an inexperienced shop. (Don't ask!), and after
6,000 miles of trying to control the heat, I finally succeeded by installing
a large alloy rad on top of all the well known Tiger heat-control mods.

Then I had the motor stripped by a reputable local shop to see what damage
had been done during the time
of unrelenting operating heat. (225-230F). The internals looked brand new,
which lends credence to the contention of many on this list that these
temperatures do not hurt the SBF engine.

My rotating assembly came from SCAT, and includes forged rods and pistons.
But the clearance at BDC between the crank web and the bottom of the piston
is pretty scary to look at. I have my rev limiter set at 5500 rpm, which is
close to the power peak (317 hp at the crank) and after this last rebuild I
have absolutely no fears of parts exiting the oil pan.

Sorry the photo of the crank/piston clearance won't come through - anyone
who wants to see close tolerances, send me an e-mail.

Regards,

Dave Munroe
p.s. the cylinders are bored .060"