Re: [Tigers] Extending driving range

To: <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Extending driving range
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:04:14 -0400
Thanks Ron, everyone,

I'm familiar with 'good tuneup' and 'fully inflate the tires' but it's good to
be reminded. Running with the hard top had not occurred to me.

I'd try running leaner but my Edelbrock 4 bbl only has idle adjustments; I
think that means it can't be leaned out?

Driving across South Dakota to SUNI in the Alpine with 100 miles or so between
gas stations was a nervous drive,  but
the couple gallons of "emergency gas" in a container well secured in the trunk
provided a little assurance.

Now I am eyeing a trip in the Tiger, doing some planning, thinking about a
long drive out west to include another remote area,
Seattle to Spokane and onwards through Glacier National Park then proceeding
east  along US 2 as it parallels the border.

Did I say remote?

I suspect the area flanking Glacier is the most remote area in the country,
making it a highly desirable drive to make,
preferably with the top down.

No idea as to the distance between gas stations, not sure how to find out "for
sure."

My Tiger is back together and now has about 2500 miles on the new 5 bolt 289.
It is a performance motor about comparable to the 289 HIPO from back in the
day, dynoed at 241 rear wheel bhp at 5500 RPM making 300 # torque mostly there
by 3000 RPM.

That's a great motor for around town and quite nice on the highway as well but
it is a bit thirsty turning too many RPM's for economy even with the stock
2.88 and top-loader.

I don't like the idea of non-stock appearing alternatives but may have to bite
the bullet on this one and add a cell. Perhaps a cell could be plumbed so as
to be removable and re-installable as needed?

Also the 5 speed gearbox that I've read about would be quite helpful, turning
~2000 RPM at 70 with the stock 2.88 but it's expensive and the shifter doesn't
look stock. The tunnel also needs a small widening.

So, from the comments, the main concerns are not with the nearby battery, but
with a loose can banging around, possibly being holed whether in a possible
wreck or not.

To that I would add the possibility of unvented fumes encountering a spark or
some unfortunate jolt from the battery.

Allan Ballard
Atlanta, GA
Mk1a Tiger