Re: [Tigers] Oil consumption

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Oil consumption
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:47:04 -0700
>>>How much oil loss is normal for a fresh 260 - 289 every 3,000 miles?<<<

Allan, how "fresh" is fresh? A new motor, depending on ring seal, will
consume oil. Likely not as much as you have lost, but it can be a
contributing factor.  Given the replies it seems that the baffle issue is
the greater problem.

I had a '78 Civic that never smoked or leaked and went through a Qt. every
50 miles.  I re-ringed it and through mis-information must have installed
the rings upside down. It then smoked like crazy but consumption improved to
a Qt. every 1,000 miles. Go figure.

tigers@autox.team.net