[Tigers] Timing and Carb adjustment

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Timing and Carb adjustment
From: Jeff Holt <jeff.holt7@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 20:26:58 -0600
I'm doing the initial adjustments on this 302 with the T-5 replacement.

So, I finally got the full advance worked into the timing. The problem was the
idle was too high, 1350 rpms. So when I adjusted the idle down to 750 RPM-800
RPM, I set the initial (no-vacuum) advance at 15 degrees before top dead
center, and the advance at 3000 (all-in) was 36 degrees before TDC. Is that
idle correct?

The drive around the block was much better this time but the engine backfires
a lot when I back off the accelerator, and it "chugs" badly in second gear,
just cruising down a low speed street. I am assuming this is a too lean
mixture? Any thoughts on the carb adjustments I should follow? Mixture?

Jeff Holt
Huntsville, UT

Sent from my iPhone

tigers@autox.team.net