Re: [Tigers] Engine run in

To: "'Tim Webster'" <crabco@shaw.ca>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine run in
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 16:05:59 -0500
Tim
        First you want to prime the carb and check for any fuel leaks;
electric fuel pumps make this easy.

According to Tom Monroe's book on Rebuilding a Small Block Ford;

Start the engine and bring the RPM up to between 2000 and 2500 for 30 min
Check to make sure you have oil pressure, at least 30 psi within 15 seconds
Watch RPM to make sure it stays between 2000 and 2500
Check for any fluid leaks
I would also watch the coolant temperature to make sure it stays constant
once it gets up to temperature.
Shut engine off after 30 min
Check all fluid levels
Setup your timing light, start engine, bring idle down to normal, set
initial timing.

Test drive

Go for a test drive, vary your speed but don't accelerate hard
Check to make sure everything is working
Listen for any problems, be alert for anything
Return to your garage
Check for fluid leaks; fix any leaks
Check all fluid levels
Look for anything that could become a problem
Some recommend checking bolt torque after cool down; intake manifold and
exhaust manifolds

        I would repeat all fluid checks before and after any drive just to
be sure everything is OK

        I think I ran the break in oil for about 500 miles before changing.

        I've never had a problem with air pockets, run the engine, open the
heater valve, keep an eye on the level in the header tank.   You could
remove one of the heater core hoses and pour some coolant into the heater
core first if you choice.

        I've never run Synthetic oil in my Tiger but they are making better
synthetic oils every year and some day there maybe no other choice.   I
would not use it for break in and I don't think I would even consider it
until after 5000 miles.

Enjoy the ride.

Ron Fraser