Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed

To: "'Gary Pointer'" <gpointer@telusplanet.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:25:02 -0400
Gary
        Either there is something turning on the distributor shaft or your
engine timing gear set has a problem.  If you have another working
distributor handy try it to see if the engine runs right, that will
eliminate the timing gear set and narrow the problem to the distributor or
vise versa.

        I still think it is the Mallory distributor causing the problem.  I
would pull the distributor and check to make sure the roll pin in the gear
has not sheared.   Punch the roll pin out some if you can and then press it
back in if it is OK.  I would also mark the shaft and the gear somehow to
give a visible clue if it has turned on the shaft.  I would also check all
the parts in the mechanical advance to make sure they are working correctly
and to make sure nothing is turning on the shaft there too.

        I worked on a 65 HiPo engine once that had some of these problem; it
was the mechanical advance hanging up.  Poor starting, variable idle,
backfire; drove me nuts adjusting the timing until I pulled the points plate
off and saw the advance mechanism.   The advance parts had a wear spot that
would hold the advance accelerating and stopped at different points coming
back to idle.  Once the parts were fixed it ran perfect.

Ron Fraser