Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com> s=q20121106; t=1371017094; bh=okyqoKxImW46wIgUNCChJmhMKBDTb6mxeUrFfeiXtkc=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=QhTFqCfGevOG0jJ0P9mAeFw0hLNTr3mWBFryxs3KoREHLWOmfEiP2fSHajkH4Dcau MlMDzHEbUmpxFaPVV+BsGPY+Y2R5WH5POOdk3y1Cl1cxxf5K+VZYbLLlq6Tf8y2JCw sHWj6I6Z8VXgNCaftRTPg9K5jMT4Qtj29SeFfObtffVnlbzH7olHS32TUaiALiRZmv WwlCBtY5ZIbuaKyb9ePEIa46RTEwaKBBiNnfjLOjTngyYZ+eM6/Vyub99igB4xzcf3 s3AtgBg0caGPcy7Hioz9/6urR2Ap2dRzHrf1stsgVg6HaUbPsukhT5eSgPtTyyq/NL LLFwOppBSAFmA==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:04:53 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Holleys are supposedly very sensitive to float levels being set properly. Not
knowing how the motor was running before, it is hard to guess for what he may
have been compensating. Was it running rich? I believe the carbs are designed
such that the secondary is set about 1/16 below the level of the primary in
terms of where the sight window sits with respect to the floor of the bowl. I
think that is to keep the secondaries for functioning before they are supposed
to. I vaguely remember reading that the weight of the fuel has a major impact
on when and how the jets function, and too much fuel in the bowl equals too
much fuel weight. I read all this a long time ago in the Fisher book on Holley
carbs. A great resource if you have not read it.

Depending on when your carb was made, it may or may not have power valve
blow-out protection in it. Holley makes a retrofit "kit" to add that to the
older carbs. As long as you have the carb apart, I would suggest you add that
protection if it does not already exist. The kit is pretty cheap.

I expect the new gaskets you are installing are the "blue" ones. They seal
better than the old ones, make taking things apart a lot easier in the future
and I think are reusable (as long as they do not tear).

Gene