Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance

To: bucktrippel@verizon.net, robertdhogan@gmail.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:40:30 -0400 (EDT)
Full-name: MWood24020
I agree, heat build and dissipation are where a kit like Wilwood's  adds
value.

In a message dated 6/19/2013 10:11:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bucktrippel@verizon.net writes:

Mike  makes good points. My experience is also that the stock front
calipers and  rotors have enough clamping force to lock up the front wheels,
even
without  the booster when using typical street tires. More tire patch would
make the  car stop shorter.  Braking distance varies with the choice of
friction  material. BTW, our tests showed that modern high performance pads can
really  help the Tiger's stopping distance.

With modern pads, our race tiger's  stopping power with stock brakes is not
a problem. The problem is heat build  up.  After awhile the heat does crazy
things (pad fade, pad transfer or  boiling fluid.) This occurs even with a
lot of cooling air. Vented rotors are  simply less susceptable to these heat
problems. If you are racing in a class  that allows vented rotors or doing
a long mountain drive, vented rotors are a  good choice. (For years Tigers
have used Nissan vented rotors.) Now we have  another choice with the
Wildwood kit.

Over a decade ago we did some  brake testing of stock Tiger brakes on a
closed course usually used by a local  police department. The police used the
heck out of it, so much so the asphalt  was breaking down. The surface had a
lot of loose pebbles from the aggregate.  In fact, wide racing slicks
actually performed worse than narrower street  tires because of the ball
bearing
effect of this gravel. This showed me I need  to consider the surface when
comparing brake tests. To be honest, I have not  idea if R&T tests on new
pavement, old (less grippy) pavement, asphalt or  concrete.

I guess the best idea is to do a before and after testing on  the  same
surface.

bt