Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance

To: "Robert D. Hogan" <robertdhogan@gmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stopping Distance
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:55:41 -0300
Robert;

I agree with your point of view.

There is lots of good technical info regarding the science and physics of
braking coming out of the gurus on this List. But when we upgrade the
brakes, the benchmark should be the performance improvement of the new parts
when compared to the original equipment, not compared to current vehicles
with nearly 50 years of development on board.

For sure if you have the motivation and resources to get to state-of-the-art
performance with your brakes, it id definitely possible. Lots of us on this
list have doubled and tripled and more the performance of the rubber bands
under the bonnet.

I have had Wilwoods on my Tiger since before the kits were available from
Wilwood. I also have a fresh, professionally re-built original equipment
booster installed, a new stock master cylinder and fresh rear brake pads. I
do not have a proportioning valve. Important also to mention I have been
using 15x5.5 front and 15x6 rear alloys with relatively sticky, 6,000 mile
tires for some years now.

The upgraded brakes are a world of difference from the original equipment
with skinny 13" wheels and tires, which were working as well as you could
expect from those old cast iron lumps of callipers and the solid rotors. The
Wilwoods provide a new sense of security, much greater response with less
pedal pressure, and linear performance with no fade under relatively
difficult heat stress while descending long stretches of mountainous road.

How much shorter are braking distances with this new equipment? I surely
don't know having neither the equipment nor the experience to carry out such
a test. But the Wilwoods do provide a seat-of-the-pants impression that the
brakes are much improved, and the sense of security provided is well worth
the $1200+.

IMHO.

Dave