Re: [Tigers] Warning about Old Tires

To: "Jay Laifman" <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, "Tiger Net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Warning about Old Tires
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:24:19 -0400 s=q20121106; t=1378351466; bh=tklCjJHg+YcIbWluFJxotk807X7DYJWQ+gjb8Io3g2U=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=PMFb2v1wDdQVokg+ewlAuboqUp6lczOxXYNkIQjMAIH2GDtObp9AbSoJfMyiOrE6c 94x432QJ6a0H37l7FIM1BTqO8ASwE8Ad2Oxso27RVH5jcW4xt0lMuBRpifZMYiPZ5N mAwnvVNPV4UrhoemqdcicIkTk+s4RDO1QWZVhguAT71KhqoenZtxDLWYupaQyfTdg5 PZ9mDVvciEDxuWT/CweSIktBmTecCdQ/GXi8NpmdlG61P8X9Lw8Qv3UDjTnEQA0WWc JF7bt7Kox/FDyxlLkEsXBW/9CA6jTGictJ2qekHB2y3mpkzxrUd1oo/O65bIe3OkVw SiWRnE6lNn2nA==
Agreed.  I had two Famous Maker tires fail on my old Jetta.  They were old
but looked OK and still had ample tread left.  They suffered some sort of
internal separations resulting in them being not quite round anymore.  The
wobble was quite dramatic.  No disasters, low speed, just a few miles from
home.

When the first failed, I said "that's odd".  When the second did the same
thing, I immediately replaced the rest.

A few years later I got a set of neat wheels for the Tiger, including the
old Continentals mounted on them.  I contacted Conti, and they recommended
replacing them, since the tires were well beyond the 6 or 7 years max they
claim.

We replaced two sets this year, one on the Tiger, and some 7 year old
Goodies on my daughter's car, that were starting to show external cracks and
one started losing a few pounds a month.

Stu