Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pump Question

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pump Question
From: "Tom Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:53:52 -0700
Jay,
  Is it possible the problem isn't the pump at all? If it is being powered
through the ignition switch (as opposed to a relay) you may be taxing the
contacts in the switch. Swinging keys can contribute to the problem.  The
accelerator pump is simple enough to check. And the float level if you have
a sight plug.  I'd drive it until the problem shows up, then immediately
shut it off and pull to the side of the road (hopefully as level as
possible). Pull the plug and see where the fuel level is.

BTW, did you test the failed pumps after you removed them?  If it isn't an
outright electrical failure, reversing the polarity at a test battery might
free the pump if debris is clogging it (should that be the problem). It
won't completely unclog the pump, but it may allow you to better determine
the problem.

Tom (one of the other ones on the list)