Re: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?

To: "'Stu Brennan'" <stubrennan@comcast.net>, "'Tiger Net'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:27:48 -0500
Stu:

Sorry you're having problems like that.  Before I tore my Tiger down for its
mechanical restoration, I was having a similar issue.  The only difference
with my car was that I would describe the noise as more of a "whirring"
sound rather than a rattle that, like yours, would disappear when the clutch
pedal was depressed.  In either case, however, there shouldn't be a sound
like that.

Please understand that my car is not back together yet, so I can't tell you
definitively what was causing it.  However, I did find two possible culprits
upon disassembly.  First, my release bearing was totally past it.  I could
spin the bearing on its collar and get a noise that could have indeed been
what I was hearing.  The second thing that we found was a little more
sinister...read that "more expensive."  Because of other issues I was having
with the transmission, a rebuild was in order anyway.  Once we tore down the
transmission, however, we examined the input shaft bearing closely and found
that it, too, would make the dreaded "dry bearing" noise when you spun it.
As I stated before, it's pretty tough in my case to make the statement that
it was one or the other since both items were heavily worn.  Plus, the car
is not back together yet so I really can't even tell you that we've fixed
it.  However, I feel pretty confident that the problem will be gone upon
reassembly.

Problems like this on Tigers are not very fun to try to correct.  I hope
that what I've passed on here is of some help, even though the info may not
be what you would like to hear.

Best of luck,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE