Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:22:09 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
I've been running a Pertronix Ignitor II in a dual-point for many years on my
289 car and it has been stone reliable. This includes track day adventures. My
331 car has a complete Pertronix Flame-Thrower distributor running the later
Pertronix Ignitor III ignition which has a built in rev limiter. As far as
dwell, the technology monitors coil current and varies the dwell for maximum
spark output across the RPM range unlike points (single or dual) which are
fixed dwell.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

When we build a race-only engine then the more exotic MSD systems are used.
The Pertronix are pretty much plug-and-play and a great choice for a mild
street engine or if you want to keep the original distributor but get better
performance.

The Ignitor II for a non-vacuum Ford dual-point is model 91284
Bugz