Re: [Tigers] Calif plates

To: "johnp@ciseast.com" <johnp@ciseast.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Calif plates
From: Douglas Lyle <douglasalyle@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:22:58 -0700
Cc: "john.procida@gmail.com" <john.procida@gmail.com>
John, you hit the mail on the head on this.    The smaller DMV's might never go
through a stack of plates.    Take for instance a city with multiple car
dealerships.    When they sell a car they have to take their stack of sold
contracts down to the DMV and then get plates for all the cars they've sold.
Take note next time you're at the DMV...there is usually a separate window for
dealerships.   So a busy dealership make deplete the local DMV very quickly and
require them to restock faster than a small town DMV.

I also have info that supports the fact that the DMV dispersed plates so
certain counties got certain letter sequences.    I'll try to dig the
speadsheet up that shows this info.

California has just recently changed the YOM program so depending on which
office you go to you will hear of a variety of ways to assign your black plates
to a car.    I did this last month and they lady behind the counter told me I
couldn't use the plate because even though the lettering started with VAP the
plate was stamped with a 63.  I explained that all CA black plates were stamped
with a 63 but she told me her husband's 69 Camaro was stamped with a 69.   A
quick Google search and I was able to educate her.   The bottom line was that
she was not going to let me YOM those plates for my Tiger.   I had the 67
sticker and they made me stick it to the right side of the plate.   They didn't
used to do that.    So now it looks like the way to do it is to have the YOM
sticker on the right of the plate and then the current year sticker on the
extra metal tab they give you.   Again, your local DMV may tell you something
different because I've also had them
 tell me the YOM sticker had to go on the left side where the month usually
goes.  Om my car I peeled off the 1967 sticker on the right and put on a
current 2015 sticker.

The key to a smooth transaction when getting YOM plates is to do your homework.
 Also make sure before buying plates that they are DMV clear and can be
reassigned.   In the end you'll know more about the process than the person
behind the desk but it's worth it.   I don't like new plates on any old car so
I do the YOM program on every old car I own.    I even managed to get blue
plates on my 1970 GTO...and the YOM program only extends to 1969!

Doug Lyle