Questions concerning TR4A Body and Trim Combinations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Questions concerning TR4A Body and Trim Combinations
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:07:50 -0500
Hello List

I just received my Heritage Certificate for CTC69150L, 1966 TR4A. I faxed
the request on a Monday and had the certificate by the following Tuesday.
Great service, I now wonder why I waited so long to request one.
I have owned the car since 1969 and driven it every year of ownership. It is
Royal Blue with a Matador Red interior and a white top. Until just a few
months ago I had never seen or heard of another with this body and trim
combination as original. It turns out fellow lister Dave Bradbury also has
this combination but with a black top. Pictures of mine may have saved him
from parting the car out as it had seen much better days and was not
delivering the fun to its owner that it once had faithfully done. I did also
see one at the 1999 TRF Summer Party that was obviously freshly and very
nicely re-done but I never had the opportunity to meet the owner to
determine if it was originally Royal Blue with a Red interior. The red
interior was a bit darker than mine as I recall. They may have been from
Michigan.
The point of all of this is that I always thought it to be quite a unique
combination of colors and I must say looks very nice together. Here's the
interesting part. I just purchased Bill Piggott's book "Original Triumph TR
4/4A/5/6" and on page 35 he lists the various color and trim combinations
for TR4A's. He does not list the Royal Blue with Red but does say that the
Triumph Racing Green possibly came with a Matador Red interior. This leads
me to think the combination is an extremely rare one. Do any fellow listers
know of other TR4A's that are this body and trim combination from original?
Where are they?
Does any one know if a buyer could actually special order a TR4A and wait
for delivery or did you just have the pick of what was available at the
dealer? Under what circumstances could an "off spec" color combination be
ordered?
The Dealer that delivered the car was Genser & Forman Inc., New York, USA.
Does anyone know of this dealer and is it New York City or just somewhere in
New York State. I purchased the car in Pittsburgh, Pa in June of 1969 but
saw it at A&L Motors in Monroeville in March of 1969. I am at least the
third owner and the owner prior to me only kept it for 3 months.
Interesting stuff for me and I thought maybe it would be for others on this
otherwise cold and dreary day in Ohio.
Come on summer when we can once again drive these cars as they were meant to
be enjoyed.