Re: [TR] What do you think ?

To: Chip19474@aol.com, auprichard@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] What do you think ?
From: John Macartney <macartney.john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:33:24 +0000 (GMT)
Chip Krout wrote:

So, using my hours and a labor rate of $75/hour for
example, if someone
were to hire a shop to entirely restore a TR6 from
"bottom-up" to concours
condition, the labor component would be at least
$90,000.....a number that is
absolutely frightening by any measure of sanity
if that person was doing
the  restoration in hopes of reselling at a profit!
Not trying to cap your calcs, Chip - but we did similar maths on the rebuild
of "uncle jack" - the '73 Stag I drove *aimlessly* around the US and Canada
this year.
After the event was over, "uj" won the Stag Concours (382.5 points
out of 400) at Triumphest/NATC and that was after 17,500 miles - so he was
pretty damned good at the Start.
Joe Pawlak kept a detailed hourly log of all
the work done and while I don't have it to hand it was dedicated core of 12
truly dedicated people (and others from time to time) for 76 weekends @ 2 days
per weekend @ 8 hours per man/day = 14,592 hours. Joe also put in several
hundred more hours on most weeknights working on his own. I think he worked on
a retail labout rate of $85 per hour, so the labour hours 'notional value' is
$1,240,320. Then add in the pledge value to acquire the car, funded so kindly
by many on this list at $6500 and another $12,000 for parts we had to ship out
from the UK and we're looking at a minimum total of $1,258,820.
I'm fairly
sure we won't see anything like that headed in our direction when the car is
finally sold - but  a man can dream................ And one day, someone's
going to become the happy (and fortunate) owner of arguably the best known
Stag west of the Atlantic. Not only the best known but IMHO, undoubtedly the
very best Stag resto I've ever seen. And I've seen many. "Uncle Jack" is still
effectively a brand new car

Jonmac

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net