rotor problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: rotor problem
From: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:40:51 EST
For any one out there's benefit...I have been leaning over my fender for the
last two days trying to figure out why my engine was suddenly stumbling,
backfiring, and stalling.  Plugs were fine, timing was adjusted per Dick
Taylor's suggestion for my 9.5:1 compression 74 1/2, and a new set of points
and a condensor were installed.  I was pulling my hair out trying to find out
why the engine was not running right...at times I could not even get up a
grade without the car popping and stumbling.  Lo and behold....I solved the
problem today.....I never thought of looking at the inside of the rotor cap
until it seemed to not snap on cleanly.  Now I know why...the ridge on the
inside of the rotor which interfaces with the notched cam on top of the
distributor was broken and twisted...almost ready to fall off entirely.  I am
assuming that this created play in the contact point of the spinning rotor
and distorted my timing or dwell.....am I correct? If so, no wonder I had a
heck of a time with the timing and points setting....I just could not get the
car to run smoothly.  Could someone explain to me exactly what the rotor
does?  Thanks guys.           Bob Pierson