Re: Fork/clutch shaft pin help

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fork/clutch shaft pin help
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:11:24 -0800 (PST)
Charles---If I'm understanding your message correctly, the threaded part
of the pin is still in the threaded portion of the clutch release cross
shaft. I'd say it must be treated like any other bolt that has been
broken below the surface of a part. That is, sometimes they can be
persuaded by trying to back them out with a sharp punch, OR drilling a
hole down thru the center of this pin and using an E-Z out. At the very
worst (?) there are some owners who position the fork on the shaft and
weld it into position. The only reason to undo a shaft that has had it's
fork welded to it would be when it's sometimes necessary to get to the
front bearing behind it, or replace the one cross shaft outboard
bearing. When this time comes it will be necessary to hacksaw the shaft
in half. At that time one might be able to salvage the fork, being out
where better equipment can be used on it.

If none of the above appeal to you, you can simply drill out the broken
pin in its entirety, threads be damned, and replace  the shaft, fork and
pin.

Good Luck...

Dick T.
'73