Fwd: thermostat and EGR

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: thermostat and EGR
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:59:52 -0500
Take the wire off the sending unit (temp. transmitter) and touch it to
chassis ground, with the ignition on.  This should cause the gauge to peg
on Hot.  If it doesn't, use a voltage meter to see if you have any voltage
at that wire, just to double check.  If both these conditions indicate no
voltage getting to the transmitter, then you either have a break in this
wire, or your temp gauge is busted, or you have another upstream problem.
In order to figure out if you have a broken wire or a busted gauge, you
must remove the gauge from the dash and check to see if the gauge is
getting voltage on the input side, and transmitting voltage on the output
side.  if no voltage on the input side, you have a problem with the wire
coming from the voltage stabilizer (which feeds both the gas and temp
gauges).  If no voltage on the output side, but there is voltage on the
input side, you have a busted gauge.  If there is voltage on the input and
output sides, but no voltage at the sending unit, then you have a broken
wire.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6