Different Brake Fluid Twist

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Different Brake Fluid Twist
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:38:13 -0500
   Greetings All,
                         Just when you thought it was safe to make up
your mind between dot 4 and silicone brake fluid along comes someone to
toss a wrench in the works. Yesterday, myself and another car club
member had the wonderful experience of checking out a collection of
Rolls Royces that another of our members owns. Actually, 4 RR's and 1
Bentley. An interesting point he brought up was the fact that the
hydraulic fluid used on all systems (braking and leveling/suspension) of
the newer, 1984 model was not dot3, 4, or silicone, but avionic mineral
oil. The reasoning was the fact that most every other fluid(f) causes
corrosion in some form and at some time down the road. Needless to say,
a brake job due to corrosion on one of these autos can set one back a
few pesos, not that I'll ever need to worry about that........I just
found it rather interesting and wondered if anyone has used it or
contemplated using it on a less exotic marque like, say, a '76 TR6.
    The cream of the crop at this man's house was a 1922 Silver Ghost
that he spent 17 years restoring. The body is fabric covered, and the
guy did the entire thing himself including reproducing the wooden
understructure. He went to England to buy the correct leather for the
interior and sewed and embossed it himself. On one of the others, a 1932
I believe, he did everything from reweld the aluminum fenders and
rebuild the wood laminate/aluminum frame to making a new canvas top.One
of those folks who just stops you dead in your tracks with the amount of
talent they happen to possess. It was truly a memorable day, and quite a
learning experience. Now, about that mineral oil in the brake and clutch
Kevin D. Thompson
Cape Cod British Car Club