Re: Intake and exaust manifold torques

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intake and exaust manifold torques
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:51:32 -0800
Greetings all,
I am not understanding on the torque question, in the case where
Never-Seize (or equiv) is used.  If used, on something like manifold studs,
are the specified torque numbers still correct?

When I put my manifolds on a year or so back, using a torque wrench, and
N.S. on the studs, I did have problems.  On one or two of the fine-thread
studs, the nut "jumped" the threads just prior to reaching spec, and then
would not tighten to spec.  I ended up having to replace the stud and try
again.  These were the  "bronze-looking" ones, which I assume have a softer
copper (or?) plating on them.

I assumed that what might be happening was that with lube on the threads,
the nut was actually getting tighter than it should, compared to what I was
reading on the wrench.  And so, I was actually over-torquing even though
the wrench was reading "ok."  If so, I guess the best answer is "don't use
N.S. on the threads?"  Or is it possible I just had studs with
poor-tolerance threads?  Wonder how the real engine jocks handle this....
Thanks!

Glenn 74.5 TR6 X 2
San Diego "occasional shade-tree wrencher"