Re: Front Ride height

To: jgarruba@ematic.com (J. Garruba)
Subject: Re: Front Ride height
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:09:41 -0800 (PST)
Joseph---How much difference do you have  between the left and right
side? What points are you measuring from?

Some shocks have adjustment at the top that allows you to compress the
road spring a little, thus dropping the car on this side.
Spacers can be placed under the spring to raise up the lower side. Like
the rubber kind that you can buy from TRF.

A sagging spring is another cause for one side being lower. However,
they usually sag in pairs.  Lots of work, but you can take them out to
compare them.
A bent anti-roll bar can influence how much 'load' is being carried on
one spring. Disconnect it to see, if you think this could be it.

Be sure also that the opposite REAR corner is not casing the front to
tilt. (Think about that one for a while.)

I haven't found ride height to effect wheel alignment all that much.
Front end alignment is made with the tie rod adjustments, as you know.
Camber (and caster, to some degree) changes are made with the shims
between the lower A-arm and the frame, at least on the later TR's. What
year TR do you have?
 (I'm not sure what you mean by alignment angles.)
Clear as mud?

Dick T.
'73