Re: Fuel Leak at Starter Box

To: forzion@maine.rr.com (David Friedlander)
Subject: Re: Fuel Leak at Starter Box
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:32:48 -0800 (PST)
Dave, John, Russ and others who have joined in on this----Thanks! This
could be another one of those differences that arise when there is more
than one way to do something. Moss includes 'the gasket' when the major
kit is purchased, as John noted.  TRF is silent about such a gasket, to
where they don't even show it, as pointed out by Dave, and thought to be
so by Russ.  This got my curiosity up enough to dig out my original
('73) carbs and look at them.   NO gasket(s).  The area looks to be
precision machined to where no gasket should be necessary.  That would
mean that older, perhaps corroded carbs could benefit from a gasket
and/or sealer.
The fuel level in the bowl is far enough below this bar to where fuel
should not seep when the car is parked. When the engine is running,
vacuum should pull any fuel past this area.  This leads me to believe
that it would take special circumstances for any noticeable fuel to get
out past the starter bar.  I just don't know what that would be...

DT